Our Fellows come from a wide range of professional backgrounds from all over the world.
Some Fellows join to be part of the 16,000-strong community of geographers, some join for professional recognition whilst others join because they want to give something back to geography.
United by a passion for the discipline, Fellows are vital to the Society’s mission to advance geography, and they enable us to achieve so much more as a result of their expertise, knowledge and enthusiasm for the discipline.
Stay informed about geography and the Society
- Receive all or a selection of our academic journals – Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers, Area, and The Geographical Journal and/or opt to receive Geographical magazine
- Receive our seasonal autumn, spring and summer Bulletins and our monthly e-update with news and events
- Attend our Monday night lectures or watch high-quality recordings online
Connect with the community of geographers
- Attend a wide range of conferences, seminars and events taking place across the UK, meeting local Fellows, Society members and geography enthusiasts
- Members’ discount on our flagship events, including Annual International Conference and Explore.
- Academics and researchers can participate in a choice of 28 Research Groups
Access to expertise and resources
- Unlimited use of the Foyle Reading Room, our library of maps, books, guides and unrivalled access to our historic Collections
- Access to the Members' Room – a members'-only space which can be used for meetings, remote working or relaxing
- Apply for grants to support your research, fieldwork or expedition
- Receive expert advice on fieldwork and expeditions
- Apply for professional status as a Chartered Geographer
- Discounts on CPD training and workshops for teachers and researchers in the field
- Use FRGS in your title
Third party discounts
Support the Society
- Attend and vote at the Society's Annual General Meeting
- Your Fellowship is vital to support and sustain the work of the Society to advance geography and geographical learning
Application for Fellowship is open to anyone, based in the UK or overseas, over the age of 21 who can demonstrate:
- A sufficient involvement in geography or allied subject through training, professional work, research, publications or other work of a similar nature
- Not less than five years continuous commitment to the Society as an Ordinary Member.
For example, if you use, or have used, your geographic skills and/or knowledge extensively in the workplace, or have a degree in geography (or allied subject) then you are likely to be eligible for Fellowship. Our current Fellows come from a diverse mix of career and academic backgrounds.
Further information on eligibility is available on our guidance sheet. The membership office can answer any eligibility queries on +44 (0)20 7591 3080.
Cost and further information
- Annual membership costs from £110 plus a one-off joining fee of £30
- A breakdown of subscription options for the journals and Geographical magazine can be found in the application form
- Life Fellowship is also available with price on application
- If you do not know another Fellow to propose and second your application, a Fellow from within the Society can act as a proposer or seconder when your application is accompanied by a covering statement and a CV.
- Fellowship application form: PDF | MSWord
- Fellowship application form for those working in academia (simply complete section A): PDF | MSWord
Simply complete an application form, and return with your payment and CV to the Membership Office.
Applications are accepted by email on firstname.lastname@example.org (simply download the application form, complete and attach to your email) or by post. Please address to: Membership Office, RGS-IBG, 1 Kensington Gore, London, SW7 2AR.
Have a question? See our FAQs.