Be part of an engaging geographical community.
Why should I join?
Fellowship offers the opportunity to network with others in your profession and to support the spread of geographical knowledge.
As a Fellow you will be able to:
- Attend a wide range of conferences, seminars and events and attend our London and regional lectures or view lectures online
- Apply for grants to support your research, fieldwork or expedition
- Choose from a range of publications - our three academic journals - Transactions, Area, and The Geographical Journal or opt to receive Geographical magazine
- Apply for professional status as a Chartered Geographer
- Receive expert advice on fieldwork and expeditions
- Unlimited use of the Foyle Reading Room and our library of maps, books, guides and have unrivalled access to our historic Collections or relax in the Members' Room
- For academics and researchers, participate in a choice of research groups
- Attend and vote at the Society's AGM
- Use FRGS in your title
- Receive discounts on kit and equipment at Cotswold Outdoors, Stanfords and Nomad stores and online
Simply complete the Fellowship application forms, and return your payment to the Membership Office at 1 Kensington Gore, London, SW7 2AR.
- Annual membership costs from £96 + a one-off joining fee of £30
- A breakdown of subscription options can be found in the application form
- Life Fellowship is also available - price on application
Application for Fellowship is open to anyone, based in the UK or overseas, over the age of 21 who can demonstate:
- A sufficient involvement in geography or allied subject through training, professional work, research, publications or other work of a similar nature, or
- Not less than five years continuous commitment to the Society as an Ordinary Member at the discretion of Council.
Candidates can be proposed by an existing Fellow, or the Society can propose candidates on the basis of information submitted by the applicant, when accompanied by a covering statement. For advice on being proposed as a Fellow please call +44 (0)20 7591 3080, read the Guidance on Fellowship Eligibility or please refer to the application form.