Environment and Society Forum
A series of events organised jointly with the Tourism Society.
Tourism and the British coastline
1 October 2008
An evening discussion which focused on coastal regeneration, erosion and access.
- Kevin Boorman, Chairman of the DP:UK Coastal Group, member of British Resorts & Destinations Association Officer Advisory Group and Head of Destination Management & Marketing at Hastings Borough Council.
- Sarah Gaventa, Director, CABE
- Dr Steve Fletcher, Department of Geography, University of Bournemouth, Coastal Erosion in Britain
- Aviva Pearson MTS Director of Tourism, English Riviera Tourist Board
- Denise Fletcher, Head of Tourism and Andrew Parry-Jones, Porthcawl Regeneration Officer, Glamorgan Heritage Coast & Countryside
- Paul Johnson, Principal Specialist - Access, Coastal Access & Rights of Way
Download the PowerPoint presentations - 1 file, 58MB (PPT)
Tourism's Footprint: The Environmental Impacts of Tourism
21 April 2009
Focused on the environmental impact of domestic and international tourism including damage to coral reefs, deforestation, water shortages, erosion and litter.
- Alison Cryer FTS, Chair of the Tourism Society and Director of Tourism for the Grenada Tourist Board (UK & Ireland) and the Oman Tourist Office (UK & Ireland) and MD of Representation Plus (UK) Ltd
- Professor Andrew Holden FRGS, Professor of Environment and Tourism, University of Bedfordshire, Director for the Centre for Research into the Environment and Sustainable Tourism Development (CREST)
- Tricia Barnett, Director of Tourism Concern
Case study speakers:
- Roger Heape FTS, Chairman & Founder, the Travel Foundation: Tourism to Antarctica
- Gregg Anderson, Regional Manager UK & Europe, Tourism New Zealand
- H.E. Pilar Saborio, Ambassador, Costa Rica
Download all presentations (PDF)
8 June 2009
Considered the domestic and international issues relating to rural tourism.
- Keynote speech by Andrew Woodward, Chief Executive, Farm Stay UK
- Dr Gordon Clark FRGS, Senior Lecturer in Geography at Lancaster University
Case study speakers:
- James Turner, Project Development Manager for the South East, Hidden Britain: Rural Tourism in South East England
- Orestis Rossides, Director of the Cyprus Tourism Organisation: Agro Tourism in Cyprus
- Janet Cochrane MTS, Senior Research Fellow, Leeds Metropolitan University: Rural Tourism in Kaliandra, Indonesia
Download presentations (PDF)
Tourism and Climate Change
22 September 2009