How to use our in-house catalogue
Materials not in our online catalogue are located through our remaining card catalogues.
Library card catalogues
- Post-1910 authors (monographs)
- Subject (monographs/periodical articles)
- Periodicals titles
- Corporate authors
Map card catalogue
Archive and picture catalogues
- Mostly online
- For Antarctic expeditions and Everest pictures, please consult Collections staff
- Author catalogues are organised alphabetically
- Corporate author catalogue entries are created when there is no obvious individual author; entries could be the name of a project, expedition or organisation or occasionally a country name
- Subject/map catalogues are geographical by continent, then country
- Subject catalogue divides each country into subfields, for example ‘geology’
- Maps are subdivided:
- General, ‘Gen.’ or ‘G.’
- Division or ‘Div.’
- District, ‘Dist.’ or ‘D.’
- Special, ‘Spec.’ or ‘S.’
On registration, you will be provided with a general request form.
The fields required are:
- Control number (only available on online records; write ‘card cat’ here)
- Class number
- Title (include periodical title/volume/issue/pages here when requesting an article)
- Publication date/edition
Ensure that you complete all requested fields.
Subject catalogue cards do not include the class number. You must check the main author/periodical title catalogue entries for the class number.
For map class numbers, please state the country, then the map type and number, for example 'Map type G, number U.S.A. G.45'.