How to use our online catalogue
Guidance materials to assist with the use of our online catalogue and details of its contents.
Our online catalogue holds:
- Library pre-1910 author entries
- Polar and Central Asia subject entries
- New monographs
- Maps to 1940
- Directorate of Overseas Surveys material
- Manuscript Archives (collection level entries only)
- Picture Library items (contact staff for Antarctic expeditions/Everest images)
- 'Word or phrase' searches all searchable fields. You can change this to ‘author’, ‘title’, etc.
- Click ‘Switch to Power Search’ for detailed searches
- Use the ‘Format’ tab to limit search to specific material types, for example 'Archives'
- Search results display in a basic list
- Click the ‘Full details’ button to see an individual record
- Click the 'Catalog record' tab to see main record
- To display all fields in an individual record, click ‘Change display’ , then choose ‘All’
- ‘Browse’ (via ‘Switch to Power Search’) creates a headings list giving the number of located records per heading
- All fields in blue are searchable
On registration, you will be provided with a request form. If you wish to order items in advance of your visit please download the Request form (MSWord), complete it and email the document to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Even if you are requesting remotely, we will still need the following fields:
- Control number
- Class number
- Items with a ‘xx’ number; check if it is a periodical article, a biography/Central Asia/Polar subject entry or published post-1910
- Look up post-1910 authors and periodicals in our remaining card catalogues to find class number
- For maps, state the country, the map type, then number, for example; 'Map type G, number U.S.A. G.45.'
- Title (include periodical title/volume/issue/pages here when requesting an article)
- Publication date/edition
Ensure that you complete all requested fields.