Foyle Reading Room
The Foyle Reading Room is a contemporary 70-seat area, providing consultation space for using our Collections.
- 10.00am-6.30pm, on Mondays before our Monday Night Lectures
- 10.00am-5.00pm, all other Mondays
- 10.00am-5.00pm, Tuesday to Friday
- Closed public holidays
Visiting the Foyle Reading Room
Anyone over 16 can enter (11-16 by arrangement). To register as a reader, please bring you identification (ID), for example; driving licence, passport, student card (library cards are not accepted), plus a recent utility bill, or your RGS-IBG membership card.
The Foyle Reading Room is accessible to wheelchairs and has Wi-Fi.
Planning to visit the Foyle Reading Room
If you have identified specific items that you wish to consult during your visit, it is recommended that you contact the enquiries desk, email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone +44 (0)20 7591 3044 to pre-arrange for materials to be retrieved in advance of your visit.
Free to RGS-IBG members and those in formal education (proof of educational status required). Other charges:
- £10 per day for members of the public
- Commercial access – rates on application
- Free staff support for initial enquiries
- A charging policy covers detailed one-to-one help and research
- Access to all the catalogues is free
Lockers are provided for items which cannot be brought into the Reading Room (£1 coin required as deposit). Cameras and other forms of copying equipment are not allowed. Readers are photographed on registration.
- Photocopying for private, educational and research use available at the discretion of the Principal Librarian
- Copying for commercial use can be arranged through the Picture Library
- Readers are welcome to use laptops
- Web access is provided to a series of research-related sites
- Items may be reserved in advance of your visit (by email/phone/post)
Occasionally, materials can only be requested by prior appointment; please contact us for further details.