First time at Explore?
If your objective is field research, conservation or adventure, Explore is the place to find the inspiration, contacts and practical advice you need.
The emphasis is on small projects with a research component but anyone planning overseas expeditions or fieldwork is welcome - regardless of age or experience.
If you don’t yet have a firm idea don’t worry. Explore brings together a range of expedition professionals, scientists and travellers, with experience all over the world, to help you get the most out of your journey.
With over 300 people in the building this is a weekend where new contacts can be made. Learn from the experiences of others and ask your own questions in a workshop setting or share ideas over a drink in the bar on Saturday evening.
To get the most out of your weekend, here are a few things you can do beforehand:
- Contact Geography Outdoors with your fieldwork and expedition ideas. They can then help you to meet the right people over the weekend.
- Come to the 'Inspire Me' workshop on Saturday morning, where Explore speakers can help you plan your weekend.
- Read the Explore programme and decide on which workshops you would like to attend.
- Research our speakers. Identify who may be best able to answer your queries over the weekend.
- Use the Geography Outdoors Facebook page to discuss plans and swap ideas
- Browse the expedition report collection to research your areas of interest
Feedback from past delegates:
"Great talks and overall very inspiring – you can’t get a gathering like that anywhere else, the buzz was very infectious"
"We had an amazing weekend and the advice that we picked up was a mixture of being priceless and potentially lifesaving!"
"I never would have believed there are such a positive and supportive group if I hadn't seen it. Thank you so much."
"I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. Everyone was very helpful and gave me the inspiration and encouragement to plan my own expedition"
"Looking forward to the next Explore and the massive boost of positive feeling that comes with it - the only place on the planet where I don't think I have got it wrong by wanting to lead an adventurous lifestyle. No one outside the RGS understands me!!" - Explore speaker