Programme Explore 2012
The Explore 2012 programme is now available to download as a PDF.
Please note, this is a draft programme and therefore is subject to change.
Friday 16 November 2012
· 10.00am to 6.30pm Foyle Reading Room - open for map enquiries and to consult past expedition reports
· 6.30pm - Pre-Explore lecture by Sarah Outen. Free for Explore 2012 delegates. £5 donation on the door for additional guests.
· 5.30pm to 9.30pm Pay Bar
Saturday 17 November 2012: Expedition planning and logistics
· 8.30am to 10.00am 'Inspire Me!'
First time Explore delegates have a chance to talk to someone to help you get the most out of the weekend.
· 10.00am to 3.30pm Main lectures
Lectures topics and advice desks covering:
- Project planning and organisation
- Marketing and PR
- How to raise the funds
- Health and safety in the field
- Communication and navigation
- Inclusive expeditions
- Insurance and legal liability
- Risk Assessment & safety management
· 3.30pm to 5.30pm Logistics workshops:
- Mountaineering and trekking expeditions
- Tropical forest expeditions
- Polar and Arctic Environments
- Desert and Savanna Environments
- Oceans: marine and underwater projects
- Rivers and canoeing/kayaking
- Vehicle Dependent Expeditions
- Bicycle Expeditions
One-to-one advice sessions will also take place during the breaks.
· 6.00pm to 9.00pm Explorers' bar - make contacts and share experiences.
Sunday 18 November 2012: Ideas for field research and expedition skills
· 9.00am Doors open
· 9.30am to 5.00pm Main lectures and workshops
Lectures and advice desks covering:
- Designing a research project
- Working with the host country
- Survey and mapping
- Communicating your discoveries
- Environmental impact
- Society Expedition and Research grants
· 11.30am to 1.00pm Fieldwork and skills workshops:
- Biological Sciences
- Earth Sciences
- GIS and Field Mapping
- Human Sciences
- Education Projects
- Charity Fundraising
· 2.30pm to 4.00pm Communicating your discoveries workshops:
- Film and New Media
- Radio and Sound
- Writing for Newspapers and magazines
One-to-one advice sessions will also take place in the breaks.
· 5.00pm Explore 2012 Ends