Aims of the Learning & Leading programme
Learning & Leading, a seven year programme, uses geography fieldwork to help raise aspirations, motivation and achievements of young people and students who, through challenging circumstances, have not benefitted from such experiences.
Around 400 young people and teachers will directly benefit through the Learning & Leading placements which are carefully managed opportunities for learning and personal development.
Placements are available for:
- A Level students: Fully funded geography fieldwork summer schools
- A Level geography teachers: Funded weekend fieldwork master-classes
- Gap year students: Bursaries and mentoring to support an overseas gap experience
- Geography undergraduates: Summer fieldwork apprenticeships
Participants’ learning experiences will be shared widely, to encourage more young people to undertake fieldwork, get the best out of their gap year, and make the most of their studies.
Through the programme the Society will:
- Use fieldwork and gap experiences to promote the learning and personal development of young people and teachers who, through challenging circumstances or lack of opportunity, have not been able to participate in such work before
- Provide mentoring and training to help the individuals gain the most from their placements
- Build a network of young individuals, who have faced challenging circumstances or disadvantage, to support them in their future studies and careers
- Support schools to enthuse and motivate their geography pupils through enhancing the quality of their fieldwork programmes
- Share the learning, reflections and outcomes of the Learning & Leading placements so that other young people and teachers can learn from them
- Develop the Society’s support for fieldwork and outdoor learning as part of our strategic plan