A Level students
Places will soon be available for the 2018 Alexander Awards summer school which will be held in August (dates and venue TBC). There are 16 fully funded places, including the residential course, all materials and travel to and from the venue, available for disadvantaged young geographers who are currently in Year 12. The course will include human and physical fieldwork, first hand data collection and the opportunity to explore techniques and approaches relevant to the A Level independent investigation.
Fieldwork summer school
This fieldwork summer school is aimed at students who, through challenging circumstances or lack of opportunity, have not been able to benefit from such experiences before. This could be because their school was unable to provide fieldwork, because of family circumstances or due to other pressures they are facing.
Applications for the August 2018 summer school will open in early 2018.
To apply please download and complete the following: student application form and teacher nomination form. Then please ask your geography teacher to submit both to us as soon as possible.
- Student application form MSWORD | PDF - coming soon
- Teacher nomination form MSWORD | PDF - coming soon
- Guidance notes (PDF) - coming soon
Aims and outcomes:
As a result of the summer school, students could expect to:
- Improve their geographical skills, knowledge and understanding, see real-life case studies and try different fieldwork techniques
- Prepare for and find out more about studying geography at university
- Build confidence, independence, initiative, teamwork and communication skills
- Make new friends from all over the UK
See slideshows from previous summer schools or watch the film of the 2016 summer school.