Resources for geographers currently working as, or aspiring to be, external examiners for taught programmes.
Resources for external examiners
Email & discussion lists
- QAA Subject Benchmark Statement for Geography
A description of the nature and characteristics of programmes in geography, and general expectations about standards for the award of qualifications in terms of the attributes and capabilities demonstrated.
- SEEC credit level descriptors for Higher Education
Credit level descriptors define the level of complexity, relative demand and autonomy expected of a learner on completion of a module or programme of learning, providing a description of levels of learning through a hierarchy of knowledge and skills.
- Unistats website
A comparison of official course data for undergraduate course by university.
The role of the external examiner
- QAA UK Quality Code for Higher Education - Chapter B7: External examining
This chapter of the QAA's Quality Code helps ensure that external examining can operate in a way which is transparent, rigorous, and as consistent as possible across all UK higher education institutions, taking into account institutions' autonomy and differences in their mission, size, organisational structures and range of provision.
You can also read the full Quality UK Code for Higher Education, which contains chapters on academic standards, benchmarking, learning and teaching, and assessment
- Higher Education Academy external examining handbook (PDF)
The outcomes from HEA research and development work on external examining to provide guidance, advice and general information in this area.
- External examiners’ understanding and use of academic standards (PDF)
A joint report from the HEA and QAA, commissioned to help the higher education sector understand how external examiners understand academic standards and how they use that understanding to give advice and recommendations to the institution.
- Other HEA resources on external examining: a list of useful links and information for those working as, or aspiring to be, external examiners, including guidance from a range of disciplines
- Staff and Educational Development Association: External Examining
A professional development opportunity for new or aspiring external examiners.
Individual university websites also usually provide detailed information about the process of external examining for their institutions and the expectations of external examiners.