About 'Geography: a subject hub for London'
Geography: a subject hub for London is a project funded by the GLA through the London Schools Excellence Legacy Fund. It seeks to improve the quality of teaching and learning of geography in London’s schools, in addition to encouraging more pupils to study geography.
Its scope encompasses connection across primary and secondary schools involving academy, free, maintained and independent schools.
The project will:
- Improve subject knowledge via free CPD and training events in geography hubs across London and provide continuity to support changes in the curriculum from KS2 to A Level
- Engage pupils via Going Places with Geography career events – all focused upon the relevance and value of geography to further study and careers
Our aims are to:
- Raise subject understanding by addressing knowledge gaps and connecting teachers with new geographical subject knowledge, thus building capacity to teach engaging and high quality lessons
- Assist the new academic demand associated with the introduction of new curriculum and examinations
- Increase teacher confidence of using specific geographical knowledge and the undertaking of London based fieldwork via a 12 month programme of professional support (to be reviewed, developed and embedded as knowledge into new schemes of work)
- Promote Chartered Geographer (Teacher) to provide formal subject specific professional accreditation in recognition of the new knowledge, professional expertise and commitment to CPD
- Promote London’s unique and changing geography via the study of the capital’s wider context of economic, social and environmental development
- Make available to pupils resources to support highest level understanding of core geographical knowledge for better achievement with new curriculum and examinations
- Increase interest in geography amongst students whilst highlighting its relevance to further study and careers
The current phase of this project (2016-2017) builds on the success of a previous project, Rediscovering London's Geography. If you would like to be informed about geography hub meetings in 2017, please contact:
Geography: a subject hub for London
Education and Outdoor Learning Department
Royal Geographical Society (with IBG)
1 Kensington Gore
London SW7 2AR
T: +44 (0)20 7591 3076