How can 'The Box' help us in understanding the global flows of trade?
“The Box” is a new initiative launched by the BBC to help explore the workings of globalisation.
A shipping container has been painted with the BBC logo and a GPS (global positioning system) transmitter attached. Over the coming year, the journey taken by this container around the world (with firm NYK) will be photographed, mapped and analysed. The BBC hopes to give its audience a better appreciation of “the story of international trade and globalisation”, as well as a deeper insight into the world’s current economic situation.
This article is especially relevant for GCSE and A-level students studying both old and new courses with a component focused on the geography of global trade.
- GCE 2008 schemes of work that are supported include:
- Edexcel (Unit 1) Going Global (AS core study)
- AQA (Unit 3) Development and globalisation (A2 option)
- WJEC (Unit 3) Globalisation (A2 option)
- OCR (Unit 3) Globalisation (A2 option)
In the Members' Area:
- How does The Box help us understand global flows?
- Why is Scotland sending whisky to China in The Box?