Cornwall is experiencing a technological revolution with broadband speeds in many areas among the fastest in the UK
Cornwall is experiencing a technological revolution with broadband speeds in many areas among the fastest in the UK. This high speed hub has made waves across the county and more people and new internet based businesses are choosing to locate in the area despite the distance from London and the South-East. So how has this happened and what are the effects on the county?
The Government has pledged that the UK will have the ‘best broadband network in Europe by 2015’ with a target of 90% of homes having access to superfast broadband by 2015. This is good news for those many regions that currently experience slow and unreliable internet access, however, it is a challenge to achieve. It is not only the difficult-to-access rural areas that have slow speeds, but also a number of areas of the South-East too. This article looks at the plans to get us all up to speed.
- OCR GCE Geography AS Managing Change in Human Environments
- Edexcel GCE Geography AS Unit 1 Global Challenges, Global networks, The role of technology
- WJEC GCE Geography G2 Changing Urban Environments, How are rural settlements changing and why?
- IB This article could be used to support schemes of work for the teaching of ‘Population, resources and development’.
In the Members' Area:
- How did Cornwall become superfast?
- What economic and social waves have been created?
- What about the rest of the UK?