'From the Field' Awards
Inspiring fieldwork supported by the RGS-IBG
Extreme tourism - Lesson three: Practical task
Key Question: How can you carry out a similar investigation or trip?
Aim: To plan your own fieldwork investigation or trip, to include:
- Risk Assessment
- Recording data
Watch the image slide show In the field (PPT) which illustrates some of the challenges faced on the trip as well as the equipment needed for the trip to Zanskar, this will give you some ideas for your investigation/trip.
Use the ask the expert: Extreme tourism PDF | MSWORD resource for more detail on the equipment and preparation for the trip.
This is a group work task to create a fieldwork or tourism tour proposal to an extreme environment of your choice.
As a group you must think about:
- Where are you going and why is it considered an extreme environment?
- How long will you be gone for?
- What activities are you going to be doing?
- What equipment might you need?
- What risks you might face and how you will manage those risks. Use the risk assessment template PDF | MSWORD to help you.
- How will you record your data?
Use either video or sugar paper to present your findings to the class.