Work experience at the Society
We have a popular work experience programme for enthusiastic geographers. We strongly recommend that you find out key information about the nature of the work undertaken by the RGS-IBG before making your application.
Placements for current Year 12 students
For current Year 12 students we have a limited number of one week work experience placements. These placements enable the opportunity to work on small-scale projects across several of the Society’s main departments. Placements will take place at the Society during February half-term, over the Easter holiday period and in July/August 2013.
“Thank you for a fantastic week of work experience at the RGS-IBG. I really enjoyed learning in depth the workings of the Society, and it was useful to get advice on careers in geography” - Tessa Berridge, Oundle School, placement student August 2012.
Unfortunately, due to the high level of demand for these placements, we will only be able to offer placements to students currently in Year 12 in the 2012/13 academic year. Please see the role description (PDF) for further information.
How to apply
If you wish to apply please send the following documents to our Education Team:
- An up to date Curriculum Vitae (no more than two pages)
- A covering letter explaining why you wish to undertake work experience at the RGS-IBG and which particular aspects of the Society's work you are interested in (no more than one page)
Closing date for applications is 4.00pm on Friday 14 December 2012. Successful applicants will be notified in January.
Placements for undergraduate geographers
For undergraduate geographers we have a limited number of two week work experience placements. These are for current students only (unfortunately we are not able to accommodate gap year applicants or recent graduates). These project based placements offer the opportunity to undertake some detailed work on one aspect of the Society’s work and you would be based in a department appropriate to the project.
All positions have been filled for the summer 2013 placement period.
- Applications for Christmas placements should be submitted between 1 September 2013 and 1 November 2013.
- Applications for Easter placements should be submitted between 1 September 2013 and 31 January 2014.
- Applications for summer placements should be made between 1 September 2013 and 31 March 2014.
Please state which period you are applying for (you may apply for all three). All applications will be considered after the closing dates and we will then let you know whether you have been successful. Young Geographers and Geography Ambassadors will be given priority.
Those who have completed a placement cannot return for further work experience.
If you wish to apply please send the following documents to email@example.com:
- An up to date CV (no more than two pages)
- A covering letter explaining why you wish to undertake Work Experience at the RGS-IBG and which particular aspects of the Society's work you are interested in (no more than one page)
For further details please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
All placements are unpaid and based in London at the RGS-IBG. We do not pay expenses or provide accommodation.