Postgraduate Forum Annual Conference Training Symposium (PGF-ACTS)
Delegates undertaking Masters and PhD level research are invited to attend a training and networking symposium on Tuesday 26 August 2014 (the day before the Annual Conference begins), hosted and subsidised by the RGS-IBG Postgraduate Forum.
About the symposiumPGF-ACTS is organised jointly by the PGF and the RGS-IBG to provide a training and networking opportunity for postgraduates attending the RGS-IBG Annual Conference. As it is held the day prior to the start of the Annual International Conference (Tuesday 26 August 2014), it also provides an opportunity for postgraduates to get to know other delegates and the conference venue before the start of the full conference.
Workshops, panel discussions and opportunities for Q&A, led by established professional geographers and other experts, will enable postgraduates to develop transferable skills whilst also enriching the experience and value of attending the conference.
The cost of the symposium is £20 (in addition to the conference registration fee), which includes lunch on arrival and an evening drinks reception.
We expect the programme to include the following sessions and workshops (please note that workshops and timings may be subject to small changes):
Registration and lunch on arrival (from 11:45 to 12:45)
- Introduction and welcome (13.00 to 13.15)
- Workshop one (13.15 to 14.30). Attendees choose one from:
- Ideas and actions: get more out of conferences - led by Nicola Thomas (University of Exeter / Hon Secretary of the RGS-IBG Research and Higher Education Committee)
- Using co-production to disseminate your research
Tea & coffee break (14.30 to 15.00)
- Workshop two (15.00 to 16.15). Attendees choose one from:
- Works in progress: Critical reading and self-editing
- Becoming a professional geographer: careers and CPD
- Feedback on discussion in each of the four workshops (so that you catch up with what you missed) (16.15 to 16.45)
- Facilitated Q&A panel with workshop leaders (16.45 to 17.30)
- Closing comments (17.30 to 17.45)
Return to RGS-IBG for conference opening plenary panel session (Public Geographies) and conference opening drinks reception.
Workshop leaders and other contributors will be announced soon.
Download the PGF-ACTS flyer
You can add PGF-ACTS to your booking when you register for the RGS-IBG Annual International Conference. If you wish to attend PGF-ACTS without registered for the annual conference, please contact AC2014@rgs.org to be added to a waiting list.
Organisers and contact information
This event is organised and hosted by the RGS-IBG Postgraduate Forum and the Society's annual international conference organisers.
If you have any questions about the Postgraduate Forum or the event content, please contact Michaela Kennard M.E.Kennard@greenwich.ac.uk and Mary Greene email@example.com. For registration enquiries, please contact AC2014@rgs.org.