We are the UK’s learned society for geography and professional body for geographers. We have charitable status and we work with international as well as UK-based audiences.
Established in 1830 to promote 'the advancement of geographical science', today we are a dynamic world centre for geographical learning – supporting research, education, expeditions and fieldwork, as well as promoting and facilitating knowledge exchange, public engagement and informed enjoyment of our world.
We are based in a listed building in our own grounds in Kensington opposite Hyde Park, and operate nine regional branches in the UK and two overseas. We employ approximately 60 staff, and benefit from significant support from volunteers.